Monday, May 21, 2018

An Announcement About The Linen Butterfly

So I found out today about an SF series that actually has a lot in common with "The Linen Butterfly." I was over with my friend, Madison Scott-Clary (a talented writer and the editor of the anthology "Arcana," which features one of my short stories) and she mentioned it. It's called "Otherland" by Tad Williams. It was similar enough when I read the synopsis I got kinda nervous.

In particular I was struck by the WWI imagery. I had included that in "The Linen Butterfly" for my own reasons and had no idea someone had already done a very similar story that had WWI scenes. Though in the case of "The Linen Butterfly" it serves a different role in the plot. The biggest difference I can see is that "The Linen Butterfly" doesn't involve moving between worlds quite as much. The characters aren't seeking something from outside their virtual world either (at least not initially). They're very much caught up in it.

I also doubt that Williams incorporated imagery from Sethian gnosticism. But I could be wrong as at this time I've only read a synopsis.

So I will concede that "The Linen Butterfly" is very similar. So similar that if I had known about the existence of "Otherland" I would have written it quite a bit differently. But I have honed the story so much that if I were to change it now, I'd have to rewrite from scratch. I've already done this once and I don't fancy having to do it again.

I will release "The Linen Butterfly." But I will also include some ackowledgment of Williams' work as someone who had me beat by quite a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment